When the Sacred Scriptures are read in the Church, God himself speaks to his people, and Christ, present in his word, proclaims the Gospel. Therefore, the readings from the Word of God are to be listened to reverently by everyone, for they are an element of the greatest importance in the Liturgy.
The Reader ministry assists the priests in proclaiming God’s Word to the congregation. When one answers the call to be a Reader, he enters into a deeper relationship with the Word of God as revealed in sacred scripture. Christ speaks through our Readers to bring the printed word to life.
A Reader at Blessed Oscar Romero is…
- a man, woman or teen parishioner
- a person in full communion with the Catholic Church
- a person serious about the practice of their faith
- a person with deep respect for God’s word
- a person with the desire to minister in this capacity
- a person able to proclaim the Word of God with confidence, poise, and clear articulation
After completing a training session, Readers are assigned 1 (one) weekend Mass every 5 (five) weeks based on a team rotation schedule. Mass times vary. Additionally, we meet once a year as a group to review procedures and proclamation techniques.
For more information, please contact Joy Arcega at 909-731-3611